12.19.2008

Our Christmas

This year is going to be a very small Christmas in some ways, and very large in others.

We don't have a lot of money, hardly any in fact. So we spent very little in way of gifts, but still did our best to make sure we and the rest of our family and friends will enjoy the holidays. We thought a lot about what gifts we were going to give people and got things that we knew they would like, instead of buying something expensive that we thought they might. We didn't go overboard.

We also couldn't spend a lot in the way of decorations. Our windows are decorated with paper snowflakes I cut out. We had a little village we started last year and set up a little table with that. (This being the last year we can for a while as by next year Piper will be able to reach it.) We got a tree from Fred Meyer for 20 bucks. It's not uber fabulous, but it's a tree and brings the Christmas feeling into our home. We got a few ornaments for very little to augment my small collection and for under 50 dollars we have a fully decorated tree(including the cost of the tree). And my biggest woe, we don't have a fireplace in this house. Or, at least, we didn't. Not wanting to try to have the Christmas spirit without a fireplace, which I find essential, I built us one. There is now a lovely paper fire crackling in a paper fireplace. It cost less than a dollar, but it still warms my spirit.

We may be having a small Christmas, but our love, imagination, and hearts grow large enough to make it feel not very small at all.

There have been many times during this season that I have seen people spend huge quantities of money on gifts and decorations and parties. And I've seen them and the end of the season, never any happier. And I feel richer than any of them because not only do I have a loving family and wonderful friends, but I have the truth about the gospel in my life and the knowledge that no matter how bad things can get here, at the end of our season on earth, our joy will be unparralleled, and our gifts ever increasing.

So if anybody else ot there is feeling the strain of the season, just keep a smile on your face and remember what the season is really about. Money isn't important, love is.

Merry Christmas

5 comments:

garyleah said...

You are learning the true meaning of Christmas at a much younger age than I did. I love your blog and I love you. Grandpa J

Tammy said...

Kaitlin, you're way ahead of many of us in the true meaning of Christmas. I admit I get too carried away in the world's view of Christmas when I should each day remember what it is really about. Kudos to you and I can hardly wait to see you!

cara said...

Kaitlin,

You are such a great example to me!
Merry Christmas!!!!

Cara

Sharon said...

Sounds fun! You forgot to mention the snow. It's free and it adds so much to the Christmas atmosphere! Have fun watching Gary. He can be quite the maniac!

Unknown said...

Kappy its alyssa always on beccas computer, lets just say im challenged! But finally i got on sorry I did not read this before but i just read it now and i just wanted to thank you for having the true christmas in your heart>>> I love you>>>